Question is why do we do it?
Why do we spend time writing about ‘stuff’ to put it out there for others to read into a ‘brilliant blog’. Here is a quick infographic of 6 reasons why we/people do it.
Next step, how do we make it awesome? Compelling, inspiring or even go viral?
A brilliant blog is not that easy to do, but does it actually have to be that wonderful…..or does it just need to connect with YOUR audience and does it need to meet your purpose – to get sales. Answer: Yes.
The best copy writers in the world get paid a lot of money to do this, but some people just have the knack of writing great content.
Some blogs feel so natural to read and yet here we are wondering where to start?
The question to ask yourself :
What is the purpose of your blog? Is it personal, for driving traffic to your site, to make links, to engage people….this then dictates how you write.
Whether it is more formal and third party or you write it how you would speak it.
What’s it about? A sensitive issue, a descriptive piece, informative?
Here’s the thing – We generally work with small businesses, so with this in mind, we suggest keeping it quite informal and chatty. It has a nice feel about it and less corporate. People want to get to know you as well as your business! So let them in a little.
We suggest writing blogs to create content which helps small businesses to create links and get more traffic to your website. If you are not actively looking to drive content to your website then how will this convert into online sales.
There are many ways to drive traffic to a site, but creating content that your audience likes, builds trusts in and they connect with, is one of the best. You can convert your audience into a customer- if they weren’t already.
However, it’s not always that easy. They don’t read one great bit of content and love you and buy from you immediately. You need to keep producing pretty brilliant blogs and be consistent. They need to keep seeing your great content and connecting with you.
Links…..this is a biggy! If you want it to create sales you must link to products- maybe they will love one of your products because of the picture or your write up.
If it has a direct link for them to click, they are more likely to make the purchase. LINKS ARE ESSENTIAL. Don’t make it too difficult to buy otherwise they probably won’t go and search for you. They know someone else will come around and make it easier for them.
Blogs don’t always have to be about your products. If you know your audience and really know them, you could talk about a place you have been or something you think they will love too. Then at the end put in a cheeky image with a link to a product of yours.
People need to connect with people and when you get this sorted. They will connect with you and you will start making the online sales. Remember only about 1-2% of your audience will purchase so what does this say about how many people you have to connect with?
Our Top Tips Summary.
How to Write a Brilliant Blog:
- Be Personal: speaking to all those small businesses out there. You want to get sales, so make it nice and relaxed and let your audience get to know you and your business. We think a ‘chatty’ style works well and is easy to read.
- Add links to get sales: This is SOOO important when writing a blog. You want to give people a CTA (call to action) and that is buy this candle/print etc. Highlight the words and put in the link.
- Add links that are both internal and external (SEO benefit): This means link to pages on your website and link to other websites. Linking to an item on your Etsy store is perfect but we also suggest using links to other ‘High Authority’ websites. For example either informative sites or within your industry e.g. Mollie Makes or The Independent (maybe link to a related article).
- Use short sentences and very short paragraphs: We haven’t discussed this further up this blog but we use this style. It is to enable everyone to access your work.
- Keyword density (SEO benefit): How much you use the title/theme of the blog in the text you have written. It is really hard to do this but helps when Google Bots are having a read. BUT don’t over do it.
The next blog progression would be where should I put my blog for it to be seen. Let us head off and write this one for you and we will come back. and add a link when we are done!
We love to write blogs that help out our members or fellow small business owners.
Once we have written an article such as this, we then help them to go away and action this very project within their business. We give them time to grow with our support.
Fancy joining Pedddle? Link to our join page to find out more about becoming a member.
Thanks for reading and feel free to add comments.